All chats will be retained and used for training and project assessment purposes only by the moderators of the service. Any identifying information will be removed.
LiveChat – what is it?
LiveChat is currently available 8pm to 10pm Victorian time each weeknight.
The Australian Breastfeeding Association provides a LiveChat service via the web. LiveChat is an online individual chat service to provide breastfeeding information. It is:
- staffed by trained volunteer community educators
- a service to provide general information about breastfeeding to mothers and their support people including fathers, partners, grandparents, friends etc.
If the service is not currently available, you can access breastfeeding information via the ABA website or call the Breastfeeding Helpline on 1800 686 268.
LiveChat – what it isn’t
- Community educators can not provide individual counselling. They are available to provide generalized breastfeeding information. Community educators may refer you on to a breastfeeding counsellor if needed.
- ABA volunteers cannot provide medical advice or information on the use of drugs or medicines when breastfeeding.
- For medical issues, contact Healthdirect on 1800 022 222 or your local health professional
- For questions about the use of medicines when breastfeeding, call the National Medicines line on 1300 MEDICINE (1300 633 424), Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm Australian Eastern Standard time. Outside of these hours, please call the Poisons Information Line on 13 11 26 who can help with medicine queries.
- ABA is unable to provide support via LiveChat to people outside of Australia. You are able to explore the information on the ABA website and we recommend you seek support from health professional or breastfeeding support service in your local area.
Due to insurance issues, ABA is unable to offer our counselling services to residents of the United States or Canada. Mothers in these countries may like to contact the La Leche League International for assistance - http://www.llli.org
How to use the service
- LiveChat is currently available 8pm to 10pm Victorian time each weeknight. During these hours, complete the information in the LiveChat box at the bottom of this page
- Click 'send'
- A volunteer will be allocated when available and will chat to you online
- If you log in as it nears the end of the chat service time, you may find that we are unable to accept your chat. The volunteers will do their best to respond to everyone.
- You can access LiveChat using a computer, tablet or mobile phone. However, due the the size of most mobile phone screens, it may not be an optimum device to use for this service.
- Use a secure and strong internet connection to minimise the possibility of drop outs
- Try to limit multi tasking and stay focused on the chat
- If you need to attend to your baby or to pause the chat for a short while, please let us know or end the chat and try again another time
The Australian Breastfeeding Association collects personal information for a range of purposes. In accordance with privacy laws, where appropriate you may deal with ABA on an anonymous basis. However, as a provider of a wide range of services, we frequently find that it is necessary to collect personal information during the course of providing services. When using LiveChat, we will collect some basic information before you are connected. The volunteers will be able to view your IP address and the date and time you have accessed the service.