The Mary Paton Research Award is a biennial award for breastfeeding research. It was established to honour the founder of the Australian Breastfeeding Association, formerly the Nursing Mothers Association of Australia, Mary Paton, OAM.
The award is a $5000 prize for the best original paper on breastfeeding.
The award is sponsored by the Australian Breastfeeding Association and the College of Lactation Consultants Victoria Inc.
30 June 2017
To be considered for the award the paper may
- relate to any aspect of breastfeeding
- be a report of original research, or a critical review of the literature
- must not have been previously published or submitted for publication
- must be the original work of the author/s
- shall be no longer than 5000 words (excluding references, tables and appendices)
In accordance with ABA policy, no paper funded by an infant formula company will be accepted.
Primary judging criteria
- Relevance to the current breastfeeding situation in Australia
- Practical implications of findings
- Whether new areas are opened up or old ground is being restated
For a report of original research
- quality of research
For a critical review of the literature
- scope of literature coverage
- use of relevant evidence
- logical discussion of material
Format of paper
The document should be double-spaced and should include
- the author/s name, address, telephone and email
- the institution/s with which the author/s are associated, if any
- sources of funding, if any
- word count, excluding references, tables and appendices
In PDF documents, please ensure that contact details, acknowledgements and end matter are on separate pages.
For style and referencing guidelines
- please refer to the instructions for authors for submissions to Breastfeeding Review.
- email the Breastfeeding Review editor for author instructions.
How to submit a paper
Email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 June 2017.
Judging of papers
All submissions will be considered by a panel appointed by the Australian Breastfeeding Association board of directors.
Entrants will be notified of the results by 1 October 2017.
The Australian Breastfeeding Association reserves the right to withhold the award if no papers of sufficient merit are submitted.