Search element - Quick search bar

Breastfeeding counsellors and breastfeeding educators

Breastfeeding counsellor, postpartum doula, lactation consultant, GP, midwife - finding it hard to know who to go to and when? Thankfully, ABA’s qualified volunteers are here for you.  

ABA's full range of educational classes, local and online support groups, as well as individual breastfeeding counselling is all inclusive in your annual membership.

ABA's qualified volunteers are here to help

Breastfeeding counsellor

Personalised counselling, information and support - mum to mum.

Certificate IV in Breastfeeding Education 

provides individual counselling on the Breastfeeding Helpline and in person at local group activities

specialises in breastfeeding counselling, but can also provide breastfeeding education

organises and facilitates local support group activities

has breastfed at least one baby

receives regular training to update their breastfeeding knowledge and skills

Breastfeeding educator

Information, public breastfeeding educator and advocate for mums

Certificate IV in Breastfeeding Education 

provides information and support via LiveChat and in person at local group activities

delivers breastfeeding education online or face-to-face, along with other presentations to a variety of audiences

organises and facilitates local support group activities

can be male or female

receives regular training to update their breastfeeding knowledge and skills

ABA's personalised breastfeeding support

Our breastfeeding counsellors provide personalised counselling for all manner of breastfeeding situations and concerns from the simple to the complex. This is done within ABA's scope of practice for volunteers, which excludes providing medical advice or information about medications.

If you have questions connected with a medical condition or medication, consult your doctor or child health nurse. 

At times, ABA volunteers may consider that your breastfeeding situation needs medical care which is beyond their scope of practice. In this case we will suggest that you see a lactation consultant - with an IBCLC qualification, or a breastfeeding medicine doctor. 

International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs) 

ABA services are not delivered by lactation consultants. There are important differences between breastfeeding counsellors and lactation consultants.  

Lactation consultants:

  • work in hospitals and child health services, or in private practice
  • offer breastfeeding advice for a fee
  • hold an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) qualification

Find a lactation consultant (IBCLC qualified) in Australia or New Zealand.

Breastfeeding Medicine Network Australia/New Zealand

Practitioners belonging to this organisation are doctors with breastfeeding interest or doctors who are also an IBCLC.