Waverley, Vic : Breast pumps
The Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) hires electric breast pumps for mothers to express milk for their baby.
During this time of the COVID-19 pandemic, we are aware of the need for additional health measures when hiring breast pumps. We are also aware that mothers will still need to use pumps to express milk for their babies.
We now have updated guidelines for interactions with families and the cleaning of our pumps. These include:
- the ABA Breast Pump Hire Officer being well and not having been in contact with anyone who is sick
- options for completing paperwork and payment online
- collecting/returning the breast pump from/to the ABA Breast Pump Hire Officer’s doorstep
- stringent cleaning of returned pumps (Please note that it is standard practice that all mothers hiring our pumps are required to purchase their own milk collection kit which is available to buy at the time of hiring.)
- getting breastfeeding and pumping support via telephone on the Breastfeeding Helpline 1800 686 268
- getting pumping and expressing information from our ABA website at:
All breast pumps for hire are hospital-grade. They are available for short or long term hire.
Become an ABA member to receive a 50% discount on breast pump hire.
Type of pump
Cost per week
Both the Ardo Carum and Calypso breast pumps are endorsed by the Australian Breastfeeding Association. Ardo is in full compliance with the International Code of Marketing Breastmilk Substitutes (WHO Code).
You will also need a milk collection kit to connect to the pump you hire. If you do not already have one, you can buy the kit when you hire a pump. Costs vary from time to time – ask your ABA breast pump hire officer for current prices.
Breastpumps hired by this group
All breast pumps for hire are those used in hospitals and are sometimes referred to as 'hospital-grade'. These include the Medela Symphony, Medela Lactina. ABA members receive a 50% discount on the cost of breast pump hire. If you are not already a member, you can join ABA at the time of hiring to take advantage of the member discount. A refundable deposit is also required (this will vary depending on the type of pump being hired). The benefit of hiring your breast pump from ABA is that you also gain access to a trained counsellor to support you through understanding the process of pumping.
- Jenny 9803 9239
Jenny is a volunteer, if she misses your call please leave a message and she will get back to you.
- Breastpump hire is available 7 days per week (subject to the availability of our volunteers).
- Hire will include some paperwork, a chat to make sure the pump is right for you, and a demonstration of assembly and operation.
- The hiring officer can help you with any questions about using the pump, expressing and storing your breastmilk and all other aspects of breastfeeding.
- A leaflet, Suggestions on using an electric breast pump
- Various information pages on expressing and storing
- Booklets, including: Breastfeeding: expressing and storing breastmilk, Breastfeeding women and work, Breastfeeding your premature baby, Increasing your supply & many more.
- More information is available on the breast pump hire and breast pump FAQ pages.