What is a breastfeeding educator?
Our breastfeeding educators are trained volunteers who promote breastfeeding in the community.
- hold a nationally-recognised Certificate IV in Breastfeeding Education (Breastfeeding Educator) or equivalent
- continually update their breastfeeding knowledge and skills through ongoing training
- can be male or female
What do breastfeeding educators do?
Our breastfeeding educators:
- develop and deliver breastfeeding education programs
- advocate for breastfeeding
- run local support group meetings
- help administer their local support group, and more.
If you are a personal member, view the Breastfeeding counsellor and breastfeeding educator position description
Breastfeeding educators do not offer counselling
Breastfeeding educators provide general information about breastfeeding. They do not counsel mothers on individual breastfeeding problems. If a mother requires counselling, a breastfeeding educator will refer her to a breastfeeding counsellor.
How do I become a Breastfeeding Educator?
See our training for volunteer roles